The ACLU of Virginia envisions a Commonwealth where liberty, justice, equity, inclusion, and dignity are a reality for all. We fight every day in the courts, in the legislature, and in our communities to bring Virginia closer to this vision.
But we can’t do it alone.
With the help of our partners, clients and supporters like you, the ACLU of Virginia has been at the forefront of the fight for civil rights and civil liberties for more than 50 years. We led or supported efforts to:
- Achieve marriage equality before the U.S. Supreme Court’s landmark decision.
- Overturn the ban on interracial marriages.
- Become the first state in the South to end the death penalty.
- Expand access to the ballot box.
- Protect trans students from discrimination and advocate for inclusive environments in schools.
We need your help to keep up the fight. The threats to Virginians are ongoing.
- Protect trans people and ensure they can live free from discrimination.
- Advocate for people in prisons and jails and end cruel and unusual punishments.
- Fight for safe, accessible abortion services.
- Respond to government suppression of First Amendment rights.
- Defend democracy by increasing access to the ballot box.
Change takes all of us. Our advocacy campaigns and lawsuits require resources and often take years before they’re successful. That’s why your ongoing financial support is such a crucial part of the work we do.